Hemel Storm II have just completed their second season in the National League. Head Coach, David Allin, gives his views on the team's progress.
Our results have not been as good as we had hoped having managed only four wins from our fourteen games. But having lost out in three overtime games and also having lost several games by single digits we know that we're not far away from having a much more positive record.
There are a few games that immediately come to mind as highlights:
- An impressive 83-89 victory over Anglia Ruskin University early in the season. ARU have gone on to be one of the strongest teams in our league.
- Our triple overtime game with Bury St Edmunds. Although we eventually lost the game we played the last couple of overtime periods with just four players due to injury and foul trouble. A tremendous effort.
- Undoubtedly our best game of the season was a 42-point victory away to University of Nottingham. That was a game when absolutely everything clicked into place for us.
On an individual basis we've had some excellent contributions:
- Dominic Charles is our defensive leader. He can lock down opponents on the perimeter or under the basket and is just horrible to play against - consequently he is a regular starter for the team.
- Atif Khan joined the team this season and has given us more depth at the guard position and contributed his fair share of points.
- Nick Allin is the team's leading scorer averaging 23.5 points per game with a high score of 42.
The team has a partnership with the University of Hertfordshire and this season four players from the University have represented Storm at various times. Of those four players I should mention Mac Mavhangira whose effort and commitment has been outstanding. Mac is a fantastic teammate who always puts the team before himself and is very coachable. Players like Mac are key to having a successful link with the University which will benefit Storm in the long term.
I should end with a couple of thankyous.
Firstly, to our sponsor, Certa Group Ltd. The team is primarily self-funded by the players but Certa's financial assistance has ensured that we get to the end of the season with the books balanced and in good shape for the future.
Secondly, to those of you that have offered your support to the team, in any capacity, it is much appreciated. I know many of you have enjoyed some highly entertaining games and I look forward to seeing you again in the 2020/21 season.